Thursday, April 15, 2010

SEO considerations for LIF2

This is something I haven't been concentrating on and I wish I had thought of sooner - it might have changed my approach to things slightly...

So I was just reading Six revisions' 9 ways to improve the SEO of every website you design (who doesn't like a nice short checklist!) and it gave me a bit of food for thought. Looking at LIF2 - have I addressed these?

1. Add a blog
Yes, I have had Sue create a blog and I've linked it to the site, but I haven't actually made it part of the site...I might look at hosting the blog with the site, I'm sure Sue must have a subdomain included in her hosting plan... now I'll have to incorporate it into the navigation bar and maybe style the blog?

2. Add Google analytics to each page
Done

3. Reduce code bloat
The new site is certainly an improvement on the old site

4. Make each page unique
There is a bunch of repeated contact info on each page, but what I'm more worried about is all of the old trail versions of the site out there with the free hosting cos that I haven't bothered to delete - all with basically the same content. I just deleted a bunch of them, which should hopefully help. Once I replace the old site and remove the draft version from thejct.net, that should also help with that...

5. Use meta description tags
I thought these were useless to some extent i.e. search engines barely paid attention to them after designers just loaded them with all manner of words in the early days. I might revisit these and punch a few words in...

6. Remove repetitive wording from the website
The contact info, motto and the header is repeated across all pages. Hopefully the rest of the content is different enough to combat this...

7. Add footer links to every page
Done

8. Create a separate web page for each keyword or keyword phrase
Done, pretty much. I've at least got 'personal training' in there...

9. Use keyword rich title tags on each page
I might need to reconsider the ones I've used...


So there are a couple of extra things to add to the to do list!

No comments: