No, I haven't been partaking in recreational drugs or eating moldy bread, there really is a pink monkey on the end of my pen. It's one of those novelty pens with pink fluff and a creature stuck to the end of it. I bought it in London at a Paperchase store one lunchtime...but I digress...
So I've spent the afternoon faffing about with my CSS. Both of the links i posted previously were actually very useful. I found out that in all of my excitement re divs in divs, I had forgotten to put everything in a div - which went someway to clearing up the aligning problems I suddenly found myself with. Then text kept popping out everywhere so between Firebug and me putting a black border around my main text div, I finally worked out what was taking up too much space, and where I should actually be putting margins and borders (not where they were!). That was all great until Firebug bugged out on me. V annoying.
Anyway, that took most of the afternoon - going back and forward, making changes, things going wrong, me not remembering what I had changed, making more mistakes etc etc. Finally I got it all sorted out. Then I opened it in Safari and my world went the way of the pink monkey. So I spent another while faffing about, tweaking things until it looked OK in both browsers, I got rid of the table I'd used for the bottom navigation links (it turned out i really was going about things the hard way. I ended up learning a fair bit about tables in the end, although never managed to work out how to stay strict XHTML compliant and set the cell widths...) and now I think I'm done with the CSS! I'm actually reasonably happy with the way it looks. We'll see how things go when the real content turns up!
So I started to check out the JavaScript options. I want to have a 'mouse over' colour change for my navigation bar buttons. The plan was to use the home page again as th practice template and then roll it out. Had instant success borrowing some animation code from W3c schools, but it wasn't strict XHTML compliant! And it wasn't just becasue they'd used a couple of capital letters. I have to work out how to get around not being able to name the images I want to animate. I suspect I'm not going to just be able to borrow some code from somewhere, I'm actually going to have to learn how to use it as well...
My schedule in the system plan had me finished with JavaScript for the site this week. I suspect I'm going to have to find time to revise that deadline...not to mention go over all of my assignment deliverables so far. I need to incorporate all of the peer/tutor feedback.
Enough chatting - time to get back to JS...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You may need to enclose the javascript inside a 'cdata' tag to make it validate- it's explained here:
http://javascript.about.com/library/blxhtml.htm
Post a Comment